MediaMonkey v Firefly – handling of multiple genre

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests MediaMonkey v Firefly – handling of multiple genre

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure if this has been covered before – apologies if it has.

I have now made a firm decision to use MediaMonkey to manage my music files, whilst sticking with Firefly to serve them to my two Soundbridges.

I am impressed with the way that MM handles multiple genre, essential for classical music but very useful for other genre as well. Basically, it is possible to store multiple genre in the same field but then the album or song is then tagged with all of the genre selected.

For example, consider Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony. Clearly this is in the overall ‘classical’ genre but I also want to tag it as from the Romantic era, as orchestral music, and as a symphony.

My genre entry in MM is therefore
    Classical;Romantic;Orchestral;Symphony

MM recognises the semi-colon and is smart enough to assign the work to all four genre, which is invaluable if you want to filter on any one of them.

Unfortunately, Firefly appears to think of the genre as one long text string.

Is that correct? If so, is there any way to have it interpret the genre field differently? Should I be adding a feature request on the main Firefly forum?

stretch
    Participant

@Statto2 wrote:

Should I be adding a feature request on the main Firefly forum?

This is the feature request section of the main Firefly forum so you’ve come to the right place to request a new feature.

EVILRipper
    Participant

Correct. Too bad the only active developer doesn’t even have time left to check the forum..
    So I’m sorry to say this, but don’t expect this feature to be included any time soon…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Statto2 wrote:

Is that correct? If so, is there any way to have it interpret the genre field differently? Should I be adding a feature request on the main Firefly forum?

After having seen your post, I have implemented this way of interpreting genres and artists in the java Firefly Client version 0.9b : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=212642
    You can configure in the preferences dialog a different separator string for artist and genre. You then just have to restart the client.
    I know this is a client side way of solving your request but I hope it works and suits you !
    — caribou

Anonymous
    Inactive

Happy New Year Caribou!

Thanks very much indeed for implementing this for genre – it works very well. If only Firefly server worked the same way!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for artist using a semi-colon as the separator – rather oddly, Firefly transcodes a semi-colon in the artist field as / and doesn’t permit more than one semi-colon. However, you have been astute enough to allow any separator to be used so I’ve changed all my semi-colons to / in the artist field and voila, it works a treat!

Thanks again.

PS If anyone out there is able to code Firefly Media Server, please please implement this as soon as possible. It’s an invaluable way to handle multiple genre and multiple artists.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I personally chose the Synology because of the extras: webserver,FTP server, download manager.I have had nothing but problems with my NAS & Media monkey. To the point where I am almost sadly considering giving up Media monkey. Winamp, Itunes others have no problem at all, but monkey is just a constant headache.I would consider my options very carefully when getting an NAS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.