iTunes6 compatibility ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    eddieb
    Participant

Any reports on iTunes6 compatibility yet ?
    I dont want to upgrade before I know if it does not break mt-daapd …

E

CCRDude
    Participant

No problems at all here (iTunes for Windows, Mac will be tested this evening).

CCRDude
    Participant

Well, the sharing options page still just shows “Share music”, not “Share videos”, so I guess there’s no option for sharing videos yet? Also, I would try some QuickTime movie first before trying mpg4 😉

eddieb
    Participant

Ok, as there where no negative reports here, I updated to iTunes6.
    Indeed it seems there is no problem with mt-daapd.
    Video share does not seem to work with iTunes itself either.
    At least there is no option “Share my video’s” besides “Share my music”
    And there is also no option “Look for shared video’s” in iTunes too ..
    Perhaps that will pop-up in iTunes7 …

Eddie

rpedde
    Participant

The daap protocol has support for a “media type”. In fact, iPhoto uses daap as well. It would be reasonably trivial to take mt-daapd and turn it into a picture sharing application.

So I wouldn’t necessarily be surprised to see a movie sharing application turn up at some point.

Maybe it will be iTunes itself. That would indeed be interesting.

— Ron

eddieb
    Participant

I added some .mp4 from my local podcasts dir to my mt-daap shared dir.
    Added .mp4 to the config and restarted …
    No go ..
    iTunes SEES the .mp4 file and says it is an Quicktime URL. But it wont play …

rpedde
    Participant

Yup, and that was my experience as well. Bottom line, if iTunes doesn’t support it iTunes to iTunes, then mt-daapd can’t support it. If iTunes *would* play remotely hosted movies, then why wouldn’t it do it iTunes to iTunes?

rpedde
    Participant

Subnet masks all the same?

Are all three machines wired? Or is the pc a wireless laptop? Some wireless units don’t do multicast (or need to be configured to enable multicast).

rpedde
    Participant

Hmmm… that sounds like:

1. mt-daapd isn’t broken
    2. iTunes on the PC isn’t broken
    3. iTunes on the Mac isn’t broken

uhh… so what’s not working? Other than the fact that it isn’t working. :/

haven’t we eliminated everything?

Just for grins, have you tried disabling the firewall on the XP box, and disabling the firewall on the Fedora box? (is that /etc/init.d/iptables stop?)

rpedde
    Participant

If it doesn’t show up in your shared libraries, then it’s a multicast issue.

You can run mt-daapd with -d9 and a logfile specified in the config file, but I can’t imagine you’ll see any more information — it’s apparently working, since you can see and use it from the mac.

All you can probably do is run a sniffer on the XP box and the linux box while starting iTunes — see if you can see what’s not going. See if the linux box isn’t getting the mdns queries, or if it’s not responding to the mdns queries, or whatever.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.