Firefly not showing up as "Shared" in iTunes

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly not showing up as "Shared" in iTunes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey all,

New to Unbuntu server and samba. So I had Firefly under my “shared” heading in itunes and then did the localhost3689 ,saw the Firefly page , all seemed well. As I was clicking through the page list on the right hand side of Firefly it just suddenly lost connection with the host. I had gotten Firefox messages like check your connection, check firewall settings, host might be down. So now I can’t get the Firefly back in iTunes shared and the folder that was in etc/mt-daapd in unbuntu is gone. All I have is the mt-daapd.config file. When I go into Terminal to reinstall Firefly it tells my I already have it installed. I search my computer and it is nowhere to be found only the config file. All I was doing was looking at the Firefly page. I didn’t config anything or change anything. I had the Firefly server page for about 10 minutes before anything happened.

Very confused,
    paul

fizze
    Participant

It probably just stopped or crashed.
    You need to restart firefly.

To do so open a terminal and type “sudo /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” 😉
    Of course there are many ways to start a daemon on linux, but this one is fairly simple.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

-paul

Aggienator

Hi I too have this problem. Firefly installed on Ubuntu 9.04. After installation and setup firefly appeared for a short wile in my shared libraries in Itunes on my Mac, but then disappeared. I have stopped and started the daapd, but it is still no longer there. iTunes is set to look for shared libraries. Any ideas gratefully received.

garydauphin

I, too, am having the exact same issue. I found a fix, though it is not yet elegant:

I wrote a two line script that stops the server and then immediately restarts it.

sudo /etc/init.d/mt-daapd stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start

I saved this as a text file as “Restart FireFly.sh” and set the Permissions to make the file executable. Now when I double click it, it asks me if I want to run this in the Terminal,and I click Run in Terminal. It fixes the problem every time.

Now you might think that all it does it restart a dead mt-daapd process, but if I leave out the STOP command, and just put the START command, it doesn’t work. So, something about stopping a running server and restarting it fixes the problem every time.

The downside is that I have to manually enter the sudo Password everytime.

I tried taking out the “Sudo” so it would need a password from me, and then having the script run every time I login:

System -> Preferences -> Startup

Here I noticed that the Mt-daapd or Firefly was not listed to automatically startup. So, I added my script to the list of startup items.

Well, this worked for one run, then upon restart it wouldn’t work. The script would always STOP mt-daapd every time without SUDO, but it didn’t seem to START it again afterwards. To test, I put sudo back in there, and it worked perfectly.

So, I am thinking you need sudo privileges to run
    /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start

I went looking for that file, which turns out to be a config script that launches

/usr/sbin/mt-daapd So, I was hoping that I gave permission to run that app without being sudo, all might be well:

If foudn that this an executable binary, but only executable by root. So, I went to the terminal and set it read / write for my user:

sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/mt-daapd

Well that, too, worked during one session, but upon reboot, didn’t work again without Sudo being in there.

gd

EVILRipper
    Participant

no offense, but the usual /etc/init.d/ script accepts a ‘start’, ‘stop’ and ‘restart’. So your script is probably redundant.
    Also, adding a init.d script to the boot process, you could execute the command ‘update-rc.d defaults’.
    Although it is defined in the mt-daapd.conf, it should be run by user ‘nobody’. So I actually doubt you need root to run it.

fizze
    Participant

You need root permissions to run init scripts on most unix-oid OSes I know.
    It’s definetly the case for Debian/Ubuntu.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.