Default playlist?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m wondering if there’s some way to designate a default playlist, or “disable” certain playlists, for iTunes in Firefly.

Here’s the situation… and I can’t imagine I’m alone here…
    I’m running mt-daapd svn-1696 on my NSLU2. I’ve taken all my CDs and ripped them to Firefly’s library. This is a pretty massive library… and a certain percentage are tunes that I don’t want to hear except in certain circumstances (Christmas music, for instance). Yet, when I initially connect to ma-daapd via iTunes, it just assumes that I want to listen to every tune in my library. Yes, I can drill down to a playlist, but it sure would be nice if I could set up a playlist to be the default. Or, better yet, tell Firefly that, sure, all my Christmas tunes are in the library… but I don’t want them to be shared right now… so, in effect, “disable” my “Christmas” playlist please (but keep them in the database so you don’t have to scan for them later).

Or… how does everyone else handle this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Really… no one?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have my ‘regular’ music under F:My Music. My Christmas music is under F:Other MusicChristmas. When December 1 rolls around, I change Firefly so that it looks for music under both F:My Music and F:Other MusicChristmas. December 26, I change it back to My Music (only).

BTW I don’t use Itunes or an Ipod. I use Media Monkey to manage my music and I generate playlists from that (.mp3) that are exported to my Roku. That way I can play Classical rated 3 star and above, etc. So if you have Itunes issues I am not your person. I also sort My Music into 4 folders: Classical, Compilations, Jazz, and Pop. Another way to generate playlists.

Lori Reeser

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Lori,
    Thanks for responding!

I don’t think my problem is with iTunes, really. It’s just reading the library that Firefly is presenting it. I think my issue is on the Firefly side.

My concern with your approach of changing the library directories on the fly is… when December 1 rolls around, and you change Firefly to look in both /My Music, and /Other Music/Christmas… doesn’t Firefly have to go and reindex the whole /Other Music/Christmas directory? I’m running my Firefly off a NSLU2, and indexing can actually be quite costly. Oft times, when I set it up to index a large-ish directory, it bombs after only partially indexing the files, and I have to restart Firefly and set it to try to index again, repeating many times until the entire directory has been indexed. I’d prefer to not have to make that an annual chore 🙂

That’s why I thought being able to tell Firefly “look… keep /Other Music/Christmas in your index… but don’t share it right now”. Essentially “ignore this directory”, but don’t wipe the indexing you’ve already done.

Or… if you tell me that Firefly already doesn’t reindex the directory, then we’re golden.

Thanks again!

janmanzer411

@Servomation wrote:

Hey Lori,
    Thanks for responding!

I don’t think my problem is with iTunes, really. It’s just reading the library that Firefly is presenting it. I think my issue is on the Firefly side.

My concern with your approach of changing the library directories on the fly is… when December 1 rolls around, and you change Firefly to look in both /My Music, and /Other Music/Christmas… doesn’t Firefly have to go and reindex the whole /Other Music/Christmas directory? I’m running my Firefly off a NSLU2, and indexing can actually be quite costly. Oft times, when I set it up to index a large-ish directory, it bombs after only partially indexing the files, and I have to restart Firefly and set it to try to index again, repeating many times until the entire directory has been indexed. I’d prefer to not have to make that an annual chore 🙂

That’s why I thought being able to tell Firefly “look… keep /Other Music/Christmas in your index… but don’t share it right now”. Essentially “ignore this directory”, but don’t wipe the indexing you’ve already done.

Or… if you tell me that Firefly already doesn’t reindex the directory, then we’re golden.

Thanks again!

I have the same problem too, and I’m still doubting that iTunes is making it more difficult to set Firefly that way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@janmanzer411 wrote:

I have the same problem too, and I’m still doubting that iTunes is making it more difficult to set Firefly that way.

Nope, you’re right… the more I thought about it, it really has nothing to do with iTunes.
    When sharing, iTunes is just a dumb(ish) terminal… simply showing the tunes and playlists that are in the library that is shared.
    There’s really no way that the library share can force iTunes to default to a particular playlist or directory.

So, really, the solution has to be on Firefly’s side… only sharing those tunes that I’m interested in sharing. As Lori said, that’s the easy part. Simply tell Firefly to look in certain directories for tunes to share. But the piece(s) that’s missing is the “you’ve already indexed this other directory, you don’t have to index it again” or “keep this directory in your index, but don’t actually share the tunes within” functionality.

RigasW
    Participant

I can highly recommend the Java stand alone client;
    It is fun building up playlists instead of thinking about doing a new directory structure for your mp3s on your computer …

Rigas

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello friends

Default Playlists for Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 provides the ability to control media delivery to clients and limit a client’s ability to seek or skip individual entries in the playlist. This article provides information about the settings possible through the Web Playlists configuration files. This article contains:

Thanks to all

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello friends

OK, this is to allow our TIVO to play music stored on the PC.For TIVO the playlist MUST be an M3U.WMP Stores the file location as a relative path(TIVO wants the absolutepath), so either I need to change the default ‘My Playlist’ location OFF theHD with all the music ORTell WMP to always store the file location as an absolute location.I can do it, but it is a pain.

Thanks for sharing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.